Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ethiopians for Ethiopians


We have spent the past 3 Friday nights, connecting with a community of people we never would have imagined. Each Friday night, we head to St. Paul and participate in a wonderful community of people - Ethiopians for Ethiopians.

Ethiopians for Ethiopians exists to unite adoptive families and children with a piece of Ethiopian culture in order to esteem and enrich the heritage of the adoptive child. The community is held in an Ethiopian church in St. Paul, and is organized by a warm-hearted group of Ethiopian people.

Along with other adoptive families, we come together to learn about Ethiopian culture, food, discuss issues, learn language, and build relationships with other adoptive families and Ethiopian people. Being connected with this community is a true blessing.

It has been the joy of my heart to watch Tyler and Kenna already building great friendships with Ethiopian children, as well as, other biological kids. They LOVE going - learning - and then coming home to teach me all they have learned! Pretty sure they are going to pass me by in learning Amharic. Tyler is already writing and singing songs in Amharic. Kenna is learning her colors and animals. And me, I still look like a deer in headlights when I look at the Amharic alphabet.

Last nights class: Ethiopian cooking!!! Followed by Ethiopian EATING. Scrumptiousness! I can't wait to try it on my own. Anyone want to be my guinea pig????

No comments:

Post a Comment